Impreza GR Series (2008+)

Welcome to the Subaru Hatch Forums, please log in...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Subaru Hatch Forums, please log in...

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion Forums for the Subaru Impreza Hatch.

Latest topics

» Shame some spammer got on here!
The engine build begins at last .... Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:04 pm by vulnax

» Anti roll bar sizes on Sti / 330S
The engine build begins at last .... Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:13 am by vulnax

» 2008-on Rear RED overlays
The engine build begins at last .... Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:47 am by salsa-king

» UBot Studio Cracked 3.00086 Free 1
The engine build begins at last .... Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:51 pm by xymonneco

» Tf2 Naked Models Gmod.zip
The engine build begins at last .... Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:29 pm by xymonneco

» Download Windows 8 Sl 64 Bit Iso
The engine build begins at last .... Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:28 pm by xymonneco

» Desi Students Fun-8 Mins-Hindi Audio XXx(www.mastitorrents.com)
The engine build begins at last .... Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:13 am by xymonneco

» Rclicker-setup
The engine build begins at last .... Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:44 pm by xymonneco

» Internet Download Manager 5.18 (PreCracked)
The engine build begins at last .... Icon_minitime1Thu May 29, 2014 6:07 pm by xymonneco

Navigation

Affiliates

Rclicker-setup

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:42 pm by xymonneco

Rclicker-setup
http://tinyurl.com/ktt6dgy

Cucu Bilal Full 3gp

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:57 am by xymonneco

Cucu Bilal Full 3gp
tinyurl.com/ob68lca

Www Sexy Videos Download Com

Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:54 pm by xymonneco

Www Sexy Videos Download Com > tinyurl.com/qze2wkc

Whatsapp Jar File For Mobile Lg Cookie Plus Gs500.rar

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:13 pm by xymonneco

Whatsapp Jar File For Mobile Lg Cookie Plus Gs500.rar > tinyurl.com/om7bj72

Subaru Isle of Man Record attempt

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:44 am by Bensonsti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFlSG9_Ue4A&feature=related

+11
mickp
Mobius 1
Tone Loc
Manchester_Kris
urban
P4UL
vulnax
enginetuner
jaypSTI
Rob
StanS
15 posters

The engine build begins at last ....

StanS

The engine build begins at last .... Empty The engine build begins at last ....

Post  StanS Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:54 am

The engine upgrade begins !!!
    After 13 weeks without the car, the engine is now being built !

The story so far !!
    Previously bought a new 98 UK Impreza which I modified progressively after it was about a year old, and ran it for about 3 years at about 430BHP, mainly as a road car but numerous track days Very Happy . Reluctantly sold it in 2006.
    I believe it did about 90K miles at that power before needing a rebuild.

Bought the Euro Import Premium Spec 2.5 STi Hatch from Iain Litchfield in Nov 2008. For anyone who doesn’t know, it came with UK/Europe Satellite Navigation/DVD, Trackstar GPS Security, Speed camera detection and CAT 1 Alarm, Recaro Bucket Seats, 18” Gold BBS Alloy wheels, keyless start button, tints etc. This is basically the same specification that Subaru/Prodrive base their 330S model on (but was much, much cheaper Cool )
    Had the Litchfield cold air induction system, full Miltek exhaust and remap for the Litchfield “355” BHP upgrade fitted.
    Also sorted the suspension out with AST Sportline 2 Coilovers, uprated front strut brace, Whiteline antilift/castor bush kit, steering bush kit, rear control bar, front undercarriage brace and rear subframe inserts.
    At the front I had the lip spoiler, STi mesh grill and fog lights fitted, and at the rear I had the stick-on rear light plastic shroud applied.

A couple of months later I returned to Iain’s to have the Alcon 6 pot 365mm front and 4 pot 343mm rear brakes fitted. While I was there I had the steering pump revalved for better steering feel.

I then enjoyed a few months getting used to it and deciding whether it needed more oomph. No surprises and it didn’t need much thought. It’s not as quick as my last one, although a thousand times more civilised and effortless, but lacked the right foot excitement.
    After many chats with knowledgeable people I’d met when modding the last Scooby, and a few others with solid reputations, and coming to terms with the crazy cost per extra BHP and (lack of) “value” for money, I decided that my original dream of breaking the magic “500” BHP/ft-lbs might be a step too far reliability wise, so I decided on a spec that would hopefully be a good compromise between engine reliability, output and driveability. I also made the all important choice of engine builder – Alan Jeffery “Enginetuner” of Plympton, who had given a lot of input into what was achievable, based on his extensive experience.

The initial spec was:
    Cosworth parts: Pistons, Rods, Bearings, Head gaskets, Head studs (11mm), Kevlar cam belt, Sump baffle plate, FMIC kit, high volume/pressure oil pump.
    RCM equal length twin scroll headers/up-pipe, Bosch 044 pump, Swirl pot, Catch tank, SFS 3" intake hose, Litchfield 800 injectors, Litchfield LM480 turbo with ported shroud comp cover and race bronze bearing carrier, Turbosmart solenoid, Perrin parallel rail kit.
    Manifold wrapping, Oil cooler, uprated Organic clutch.

The Cosworth FMIC was ordered beginning of Feb and the pistons in early March ready for a start date on March 12th, when I delivered the car to Alan. By mid April there was no hint from Cosworth that the FMIC or pistons were on their way, in spite of frequent efforts by Alan to find out what was happening, (in hindsight the available pistons probably went for the new Cossy engines) so as all the other engine parts had arrived, we decided to go for Omega high compression pistons. I also decided, in the interests of building in as much strength as possible that I would have the 14mm head studs fitted. We hope that those plus the “stopper“ Cosworth head gaskets should minimise any head gasket problems.

By the end of April there was a hitch with the Litchfield turbo, meaning it would not be available for about 3 weeks, and about then it was decided that the STi heads would be struggling to flow more than about 450BHP. So I decided to follow Alan’s suggestion that the heads should be cnc machined/flow tested at Ric Woods, in order to allow the components to achieve their potential.
    The heads were back this week (June 8th), and I am looking forward to seeing the before and after flow figures from Ric. Alan is starting the engine build now, preparing for a 9:1 compression ratio.

Latest turbo news is that it should be at Alan’s early next week (14th/15th) cheers .

I also wanted to have some engine monitoring, as I feel as uncomfortable not knowing what’s happening in the engine, as when not wearing a seat belt ! I am going for the HKS Camp2 system which I am told will work through the std DVD screen which I am told has 2 inputs (one for the optional rear view camera system). As no one has fitted one of these to a 2.5 Euro Hatch, I contacted HKS UK, who didn’t know if they would work in the Hatch, then tried HKS Europe who also didn’t know, then HKS Japan, who also didn’t know. They told me they know it works with JDM Imprezas but don’t know if they work on Euro spec ones. They suggested I buy one and see if it works – nice and helpful No .
    I am hoping that if, for some reason it cannot economically be made to work that it can be returned in perfect and re-sellable condition for a refund…..

Some pics of the bits.

The engine build begins at last .... SFSintakehose

The engine build begins at last .... Omegapistons

The engine build begins at last .... Cosworthrod

The engine build begins at last .... Cosworthintercoolerkit-thefirstone

The engine build begins at last .... Cosworthkevlartimingbalt

The engine build begins at last .... Bosch044pump

The engine build begins at last .... Swirlpot

The engine build begins at last .... Work2032

The engine build begins at last .... Work2035

Thanks to Alan for the pics. Hope to get a few more of the engine build.

To be continued …………
    Rob
    Rob

The engine build begins at last .... Empty Re: The engine build begins at last ....

Post  Rob Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:52 am

Very good Cool Cool should be mint when its done.

Interesting thought, why are you piping the breathers back into the intake pipe assuming you are doing that.?? why not fit a dual catchcan system from the cam covers and the engine block and blank the PCV valve off on the throttle body to stop the filthy air entering back into the air stream.

Just started my own build on friday afternoon, doing all the work myself though. Piston 4 cracked ringland but not bad at all the carbon has held it all together. Found that where the fuel is injected into the cylinder it creates what looks like a bat wing shape on the piston crown which cools the piston rapidly causing it to crack I would assume.
    StanS

The engine build begins at last .... Empty Re: The engine build begins at last ....

Post  StanS Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:13 am

Hi Rob,
    Hear you are going to miss NBO ! Was hoping to meet up. Sorry to hear about your piston. What power were you running ? What mods are you going to do ?

Its down to Alan, but I assume he is using the 3" intake purely as a better intake and will route all the breathers to the catchcan.
    Hope he may reply to answer the question. Smile
    Cheers,
    Stan
    Rob
    Rob

Post  Rob Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:38 am

Yes Unfortunatly I'll be sunning myself in Egypt for 2 weeks as of this thursday, so will be missing the NBO this year.

Mine was Running 380bhp-403 ft/lbs when it let go, due to the breathers in the end beleive it or not. Oil vapour got sucked up after a couple of heavy launches and basically ended up going through the intake and it suffered quite bad detonation, but I knew something was going to happen to it. But in all fairness its lasted well to get 30,000 miles on the clock.

currently sat waiting to go into it are
    Modified oil pump
    STI timing belt
    cosworth headgaskets
    ARP Headstud Kit
    ACL Race Bearings
    Manley H-Beam Conrods
    Mahle Sport Compact 99.5mm Forged Pistons
    Cosworth Sump Baffle after much deciding.

going to run it back in like that for the time being while I gather the other parts up.
    allready running uprated fuel pump intake/exhaust etc so it will be intercooler turbo and fuel setup.
    fancy a garrett md321v bolted on teamed with fuel pressure regulator and 800cc injectors.
    StanS

Post  StanS Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:04 am

You were up to the top end of the output that Iain L found was safe. I left mine at his recommended max of about 350. Fun but not mind blowing !

What power are you going to run - or do you have an open mind as regards engine life !!?

Enjoy Egypt !Smile

Last edited by StanS on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
    Rob
    Rob

Post  Rob Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:08 am

ideally would just like it around 450/450 really as i use the car everyday for work so still needs to be enjoyable and not be really really heavy on fuel if that makes any sence.

the engines in the house at the moment, block halves have been through the dishwasher haha and has the crankshaft so far and there pretty clean now so just needs reassembled
    StanS

Post  StanS Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:17 am

Had ear-ache from other half when I used to rebuild engines/gearboxes on the kitchen floor ! Laughing
    Glad she understands !
    jaypSTI

Post  jaypSTI Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:39 pm

Good to hear that the dust sheet will finally be removed from your car stan!!! Been getting regular updates on your car whilst getting my oil changes and getting my intercooler pipe put back on. You have cost me a great deal of money, seeing all your bits lay around up there has made me want them aswell.
    Martyn is currently collecting bits for my next stage. Im staying single scroll. We are gonna test a SC50 billet turbo, Cosworth front mount, Litchfield 800cc. Hopefully should be getting done in the next few weeks so hopefully we cross paths. Im also booked into Litchfields on July 6th for his new suspension setup Very Happy
    Good luck mate cant wait to see the results.
    Jay
    enginetuner

Post  enginetuner Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:53 pm

[quote="Rob"]Very good Cool Cool should be mint when its done.

Interesting thought, why are you piping the breathers back into the intake pipe assuming you are doing that.?? why not fit a dual catchcan system from the cam covers and the engine block and blank the PCV valve off on the throttle body to stop the filthy air entering back into the air stream.

Hi! Just a bit of input, obviously this is just my own opinion.
    Personally, I would always retain the pcv valve for road cars. We use the catch tank to hold any actual oil from the breather system, but feed vapour back into the intake. The object is to retain a little vac in the turbo core housing to prevent any leakage past the ring seal, also keep the pcv to evacuate moisture build up in the crankcase. On a pure race car, it doesn't run for long enough to be a big deal, but on a road car, with frequent cold weather warm ups, I'd rather see the original design strategy followed. The catch tank is purely there for occasional track use, on the basis that most high power Subarus tend to blow a little if running two bar plus!
    StanS

Post  StanS Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi Jay
    If you are local to Alan, we may see you when we are down to collect the car.
    Hope your Cossy FMIC gets here in less time than mine took ! Sad

Hi Alan,
    2 bar plus !!! Laughing
    enginetuner

Post  enginetuner Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:22 pm

StanS wrote:Hi Jay
    If you are local to Alan, we may see you when we are down to collect the car.
    Hope your Cossy FMIC gets here in less time than mine took ! Sad

Hi Alan,
    2 bar plus !!! Laughing

We have Jay's intercooler as well, head office had a batch come in, which has now all gone!
    StanS

Post  StanS Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:23 am

Glad the Cossy delivery fiasco is sorted.

Thanks for the info about your thinking on the breather Alan. Smile
    Now changed the underwear after your mention of 2+ bar boost. affraid
    Realise that referred to the real high power engines ! Laughing

I thought/hope that with the improved flow through the heads it should run higher engine output per lb boost pressure so may reduce the stresses on the heads/upper cylinders for the same power output.
    vulnax
    vulnax

Post  vulnax Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:47 pm

[quote="enginetuner"]
    Rob wrote:Very good Cool Cool should be mint when its done.

Personally, I would always retain the pcv valve for road cars. We use the catch tank to hold any actual oil from the breather system, but feed vapour back into the intake. The object is to retain a little vac in the turbo core housing to prevent any leakage past the ring seal, also keep the pcv to evacuate moisture build up in the crankcase. On a pure race car, it doesn't run for long enough to be a big deal, but on a road car, with frequent cold weather warm ups, I'd rather see the original design strategy followed. The catch tank is purely there for occasional track use, on the basis that most high power Subarus tend to blow a little if running two bar plus!

Just a thought, why not retain the PCV to atmosphere and divert the crank and head breathers to the catch can, best of both worlds? OK won't give the vac on the turbo but it shouldn't pass oil anyway?? Crank gasses are depleted of oxygen so don't help power or emissions IMHO .
    enginetuner

Post  enginetuner Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:56 am

[quote="vulnax"]
    enginetuner wrote:
    Rob wrote:Very good Cool Cool should be mint when its done.

Just a thought, why not retain the PCV to atmosphere and divert the crank and head breathers to the catch can, best of both worlds? OK won't give the vac on the turbo but it shouldn't pass oil anyway?? Crank gasses are depleted of oxygen so don't help power or emissions IMHO .

We use the catch can anyway of course, any oil leaving the breathers ends up in there regardless.
    enginetuner

Post  enginetuner Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:58 am

Hi Stan.

Nice to see you today if a little unexpected! I felt like there was a snap inspection going on, and I don't suppose I was far wrong! Laughing
    See you again soon...
    P4UL
    P4UL

Post  P4UL Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:08 pm

This is interesting, should be good when its finished!!! Twisted Evil
    Wish I had the spare cash lying around to tinker with the car, unfortunately wedding bells are ringing in my ears, that or the missus is making me deaf ha ha ha Laughing

Keep us posted with the progress
    StanS

Post  StanS Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:18 am

enginetuner wrote:Hi Stan.
    Nice to see you today if a little unexpected! I felt like there was a snap inspection going on, and I don't suppose I was far wrong! Laughing
    See you again soon...

Spot check - Laughing
    Main reason was to get the parts I’d sold packed ready to post off + have a few nice days in Devon before the running in etc panic begins! Smile
    Anyway, it would have been rude not to drop in and say hello, but also its more productive to chat face to face rather than e-mail. It was good to clarify a few details, and we now have a plan for the next week/10 days, assuming the last bits arrive Tues !!! Wink
    Thanks again for the time explaining/clarifying details.

Looking forward to passing the finishing post and seeing what this choice of mods will produce. Might pop in Tues pm if passing. Laughing
    StanS

Post  StanS Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:23 am

P4UL wrote:This is interesting, should be good when its finished!!! Twisted Evil
    Wish I had the spare cash lying around to tinker with the car, unfortunately wedding bells are ringing in my ears, that or the missus is making me deaf ha ha ha Laughing

Keep us posted with the progress

Cheers Paul Smile
    I remember the wedding bells - 40 years ago next Sunday !! cheers
    Have a great day whenever it is ! Wish you both health & happiness Very Happy
    StanS

Post  StanS Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Update:
    Back home so no longer limited to 30 mins free web access after buying a coffee Laughing

So with virtually all the parts arrived, it didn't take long to build the short engine and check the CR, which was what it said on the box, 9.2:1.
    The rest of the engine was soon built up, FMIC and fuel system installed.

Wisely, Alan waited for the turbo to arrive so it would be fitted to the engine before installing the engine unit into the car, rather than retro fit the turbo to the installed engine. The turbo arrived, the required bits were ground off various parts of castings and the turbo was fitted to the up-pipe. It was clear that the turbo was not lining up properly under the inlet manifold, and seemed there was no instant fix.
    Alan contacted Iain L and RCM and sent photos illustrating the hitch and after some indepth discussion a plan was devised to try to identify the exact cause of the problem and possible solution. Clearly there was no instant fix, so my hopes of running the car in at the weekend on a visit to the NBO were scrubbed Sad

Alan has already received some of the parts (Sat) and hopefully the problem should be identified in the next working day or 2. This hiccup demonstrated the often unseen co-operation and mutual support that exists between these companies, which can only benefit and reassure customers amalgamating parts from them. Cool

The engine build begins at last .... P1010992
    Something missing ??? But so much cleaner than when it arrived

The engine build begins at last .... P1010994
    Fuel system

The engine build begins at last .... FMICfitted2

Hope to get a pic from Alan when the engine unit with Turbo is ready to fit into the car.

to be continued......

urban

Post  urban Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:51 am

He packs them in pretty closely eh?
    enginetuner

Post  enginetuner Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:15 pm

urban wrote:He packs them in pretty closely eh?

Better than leaving them outside overnight! We just don't, and as we have a lot of cars on the go, my staff are very skilled at it.
    StanS

Post  StanS Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:18 am

Right !
    Back from sunny Devon after spending most of the last 2 (or 3 ?) weeks down there on holiday + watching the progress - or should that be problems !!

First problem was that there is no way that a 70mm housing will fit under the inlet manifold Sad
    TD rapidly machined a 60mm housing and sent it to Alan, who, with a “bit” of strategic grinding and the aid of the turbo mounting plate got the up-pipe to line up and fit with the 60mm SFS pipe. It’s a tight fit to put it mildly !

So then it needed a new down pipe. Miltek and Iain Litchfield have come up with a new and improved-flow exhaust system with a better cat. Unfortunately I had bought the previous Miltek exhaust in Nov 08 so Alan mated the new downpipe with the original system.

Looking at the pipe run of the Cold Air intake system and the Cosworth FMIC, it needed Dr Who’s expertise in fitting 2 pipes to occupy the same space at the same time, as the FMIC return and CAI crossed. This resulted in Alan’s exhaust specialist making a custom pipe to divert under the CAI pipe.
    The classic Cosworth FMIC design also meant that when you fit the pipe work, you have to blank off the wiper wash filler pipe which was directly under the flow pipe to the FMIC. Unfortunately there was no suggestion or pipes from Cosworth to allow you to fill the washer bottle. Great ! So another fix sorted by Alan.
    So, all going very smoothly so far then !

Just the ign feed to connect to the Bosch pump and the brake servo link pipe to connect and it should be ready to fire up.
    Fluids in and it was started. Martyn put in a base map, test drove it to ensure it was a nice drive and then Alan put 50 miles on it to check it and give it his OK.

So then got to drive it home – small throttle movement, light engine load and keeping it below 3krpm. After a few miles I noticed the mpg was
    The engine build begins at last .... P1020169

And a little while earlier:
    The engine build begins at last .... P1020168

Now I know the flowed heads, RCM headers and mapping should make it run more efficiently, but this is very strange, and concerned that it may be running very, very weak I gave Alan a ring - better safe than sorry !! I hope it made him grin, but he reckoned it was most likely mis-information from a fuel sensor after all the mods to the fuel system. After a couple of hours the fuel gauge showed that the engine was actually doing its usual 30 ish mpg.

Drives very sweetly, very nice exhaust note when given a little boost, but quiet on cruise. Now done 400 miles so nearly ready for its second oil/filter change.
    Need to return to Alan's shortly to get the new pipework powder coated and the HKS Camp2 monitoring system fitted. Looking forward to Aug when the new software should be ready for Martyn to do the final map, and the answer to the major question of what will it make at 1.7 bar.
    Big thanks to Alan, Andy the engine, Paul, and Martyn the map, for all their efforts, and for explaining the progress/problems. For me, it was great seeing the progress/problems first hand as well as how the problems were solved. It has also helped me to learn a little about this model Scooby.

Hope to give it a wash and take a few pics later.

Rob
    Rob

Post  Rob Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:50 am

Nice One Great news indeed Cool

another good note my engine was pulled on friday night, rebuilt yesterday and running by 9:34 last night very happy indeed Cool Cool
    StanS

Post  StanS Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:20 am

Brilliant news Rob ! cheers bounce
    (Don't you hate smart arses ! Very Happy )
    Wish mine had been that straightforward !!
    Rob
    Rob

Post  Rob Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:41 am

StanS wrote:Brilliant news Rob ! cheers bounce
    (Don't you hate smart arses ! Very Happy )
    Wish mine had been that straightforward !!

Laughing Laughing The Joys of working for a subaru dealer, just get quicker at the job everytime i do it. we only get 14hrs to remove strip rebuild & refit though for a warrenty job Shocked Shocked

loving the fact that my car now has no weak point within the engine cheers

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:01 am