Impreza GR Series (2008+)

Welcome to the Subaru Hatch Forums, please log in...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Subaru Hatch Forums, please log in...

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion Forums for the Subaru Impreza Hatch.

Latest topics

» Shame some spammer got on here!
Ported headers and up-pipe Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:04 pm by vulnax

» Anti roll bar sizes on Sti / 330S
Ported headers and up-pipe Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:13 am by vulnax

» 2008-on Rear RED overlays
Ported headers and up-pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:47 am by salsa-king

» UBot Studio Cracked 3.00086 Free 1
Ported headers and up-pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:51 pm by xymonneco

» Tf2 Naked Models Gmod.zip
Ported headers and up-pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:29 pm by xymonneco

» Download Windows 8 Sl 64 Bit Iso
Ported headers and up-pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:28 pm by xymonneco

» Desi Students Fun-8 Mins-Hindi Audio XXx(www.mastitorrents.com)
Ported headers and up-pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:13 am by xymonneco

» Rclicker-setup
Ported headers and up-pipe Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:44 pm by xymonneco

» Internet Download Manager 5.18 (PreCracked)
Ported headers and up-pipe Icon_minitime1Thu May 29, 2014 6:07 pm by xymonneco

Navigation

Affiliates

Rclicker-setup

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:42 pm by xymonneco

Rclicker-setup
http://tinyurl.com/ktt6dgy

Cucu Bilal Full 3gp

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:57 am by xymonneco

Cucu Bilal Full 3gp
tinyurl.com/ob68lca

Www Sexy Videos Download Com

Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:54 pm by xymonneco

Www Sexy Videos Download Com > tinyurl.com/qze2wkc

Whatsapp Jar File For Mobile Lg Cookie Plus Gs500.rar

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:13 pm by xymonneco

Whatsapp Jar File For Mobile Lg Cookie Plus Gs500.rar > tinyurl.com/om7bj72

Subaru Isle of Man Record attempt

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:44 am by Bensonsti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFlSG9_Ue4A&feature=related

+3
Derek FKS 85
P4UL
Rheid
7 posters

Ported headers and up-pipe

Rheid

Ported headers and up-pipe Empty Ported headers and up-pipe

Post  Rheid Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:16 am

With my engine build looming (dropping the car off next weekend actually Very Happy ) my thoughts are turning to other mods that might be worthwhile doing at the same time.

I've read 'A's post on his RCM tubular manifold and Harvey Smith up-pipe and mighty impressive results! I don't want to go the whole hog and fit a tubular manifold but would it be worth while porting the standard parts?

Thanks,

Neil

Last edited by Rheid on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    P4UL
    P4UL

Ported headers and up-pipe Empty Re: Ported headers and up-pipe

Post  P4UL Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:21 am

I think it depends on what you are looking for power wise, personally I would not have thought it would make to much of a difference unless it was creating a serious restriction.

Who is doing your rebuild?
    Rheid

Post  Rheid Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:14 am

P4UL wrote:I think it depends on what you are looking for power wise, personally I would not have thought it would make to much of a difference unless it was creating a serious restriction.

Who is doing your rebuild?

Power wise I'm hoping for close to 400 bhp and 400 lbs/ft although I'm not changing the standard turbo so 400 bhp may be a bit ambitious, torque shouldn't be an issue though. My understanding of porting the headers and up-pipe is it should improve spool and start boosting lower down the rev range. Grimm Speed in the US make some pretty bold claims about their ported OEM headers combined with their own link and up-pipes - seems to be backed up by real world feedback. I'm not chasing huge numbers, the car is and will remain a daily driver so driveability and reliability are top of the list. 400/400 (or close to it) should fit the bill all round I would think.

The build is being done by our very own Rob to a similar spec as his own car. Been for a spin in his and it was a hoot!!!

Cheers, Neil
    Derek FKS 85
    Derek FKS 85

Post  Derek FKS 85 Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:50 am

I'm looking forward to it being done too!
    P4UL
    P4UL

Post  P4UL Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:09 pm

400 is a good figure, and will completely transform the car. Would like to go the forged route in the future myself, well before the engine lets go Laughing
    jaypSTI

Post  jaypSTI Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:06 pm

I think 400bhp is very ambitious on the standard turbo, unless your running 20% methanol. Even then the standard injectors will me maxed.
    Apostle's car is probably the highest powered you will see with the standard turbo on vpower.
    His headers and uppipe gave very little to top end power but his torque went to another level.
    Rob
    Rob

Post  Rob Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:10 pm

jaypSTI wrote:I think 400bhp is very ambitious on the standard turbo, unless your running 20% methanol. Even then the standard injectors will me maxed.
    Apostle's car is probably the highest powered you will see with the standard turbo on vpower.
    His headers and uppipe gave very little to top end power but his torque went to another level.

Thats most likely were you are wrong Laughing Laughing

410bhp 430 ft/lbs on 10% meth on a vf48 with self ported headers and self modified upipe and turbo exhaust housing, stepped up the injectors though to denso 750cc flow matched 2%
    jaypSTI

Post  jaypSTI Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:13 pm

Which part was I wrong on?
    I'd love to see your graph for that, looks very interesting Cool
    Rob
    Rob

Post  Rob Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:16 pm

being difficult to achieve 400 on a vf48. Easy when you know how lol!
    jaypSTI

Post  jaypSTI Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:25 pm

If you read what I said again. I said "standard turbo" and unless your running meth with uprated injectors.
    You may well have over 400bhp but as you have stated, you have ported turbo exhaust housing, meth and uprated injectors.
    OP is talking about porting headers and uppipe, no mention of modified turbo/ meth mix/ uprated injectors.
    Lets see your graph rob, really wanna see how that b@$ch spools. Laughing
    Rob
    Rob

Post  Rob Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:35 pm

No problemo I'll get the graph from Andy & post it up so you can have a butchers
    vulnax
    vulnax

Post  vulnax Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:41 am

Harvey's "special up-pipe" have been aroud for a while in various model guises and do seem to get the results on early spool etc.

His ported std headers on classics ( and maybe newages? ) also worked well.

I'd say for £150 it's worth trying a Harvey up-pipe, unless you can do yourself.

Rob - what did you do to the turbo exhaust housing, match to up-pipe?

PS Harvey is unwell at the moment so don't expect too much response - my mate is buying an up-pipe for my old classic off Harvey at the moment.
    Rob
    Rob

Post  Rob Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:15 pm

Matched to the Up-pipe and also ported to help stop boost creep which is what its done
    vulnax
    vulnax

Post  vulnax Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:38 pm

Rob, why were you getting boost creep? Aggresive map/boost profile?

You are still on std turbo and TMIC at the moment albeit with bigger injectors and your porting exhaust side.. is it a limit of the boost controller?

AEM is mapped in and I guess the other bits too.

I'm fine with mine, but still 370/398 on AndyF laptop and 360/392 on rolling road... but only measure boost via Rev2 now and then .. but it was 22 PSI pre map, not checked since! Job for tomorrow too!!!

Cheers

Neil

A

Post  A Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:59 pm

'Power wise I'm hoping for close to 400 bhp and 400 lbs/ft although I'm not changing the standard turbo so 400 bhp may be a bit ambitious, torque shouldn't be an issue though. My understanding of porting the headers and up-pipe is it should improve spool and start boosting lower down the rev range. Grimm Speed in the US make some pretty bold claims about their ported OEM headers combined with their own link and up-pipes - seems to be backed up by real world feedback. I'm not chasing huge numbers, the car is and will remain a daily driver so driveability and reliability are top of the list. 400/400 (or close to it) should fit the bill all round I would think.'

For what you're aiming for - I think what you want is spot on. Basketball

Yes the porting will improve spool and response, and possibly give another 10bhp + / - and possibly 15lb +/ - . Of course it all depends who does it...

I went with Harvey Smith because he is known to be 'the expert' in this field. His porting skills and his hybrid up-pipe would be the best you can get. bom lol

Also dont be fooled into thinking you need a full 3' exhaust etc. A new 'wrapped' downpipe is a must, but PPP bits and standard mid pipe will do exactly what you want. pirat

As mentioned the turbo will be the stumbling block. i.e. you can only flow 'so much' air through it.

It is generally acknowledged that 370-380 bhp is the absolute max you'll get from it.

Of course rolling roads vary from 'the conservative' to 'the generous', and Delta Dash readings seem 'always ambitious'.

A fellow Scoobynetter went from Enginetuner r/r to AB Motorsport r/r and gained a full 10% more bhp (from 435 to 478 if I remember correctly).

So numbers aren't everything, but response, reliabilty, quality, and enjoyment are the name of the game.

I don't know if porting the wastegate actually increase flow or just stops boost creep - isn't it the wheel in the turbo that dictates the air passing through ?

I'm sure Rob can answer that for you... or one of the 'experts' who lurk in dark forum corners.... affraid

FWIW I'm not totally convinced that you need a caik to get to your goal ? But I'm probably wrong..... scratch

Hope it all goes well for you - is it drop in pistons or are you going to get the block prepped for them ?

A

PS I think its great how so many hatches are going under the scapel for some serious modding. Lots for all of us to learn and benefit from. Cheers lol!
    Rheid

Post  Rheid Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:52 pm

A wrote:For what you're aiming for - I think what you want is spot on. Basketball

Yes the porting will improve spool and response, and possibly give another 10bhp + / - and possibly 15lb +/ - . Of course it all depends who does it...

I went with Harvey Smith because he is known to be 'the expert' in this field. His porting skills and his hybrid up-pipe would be the best you can get. bom lol

Also dont be fooled into thinking you need a full 3' exhaust etc. A new 'wrapped' downpipe is a must, but PPP bits and standard mid pipe will do exactly what you want. pirat

As mentioned the turbo will be the stumbling block. i.e. you can only flow 'so much' air through it.

It is generally acknowledged that 370-380 bhp is the absolute max you'll get from it.

Of course rolling roads vary from 'the conservative' to 'the generous', and Delta Dash readings seem 'always ambitious'.

A fellow Scoobynetter went from Enginetuner r/r to AB Motorsport r/r and gained a full 10% more bhp (from 435 to 478 if I remember correctly).

So numbers aren't everything, but response, reliabilty, quality, and enjoyment are the name of the game.

I don't know if porting the wastegate actually increase flow or just stops boost creep - isn't it the wheel in the turbo that dictates the air passing through ?

I'm sure Rob can answer that for you... or one of the 'experts' who lurk in dark forum corners.... affraid

FWIW I'm not totally convinced that you need a caik to get to your goal ? But I'm probably wrong..... scratch

Hope it all goes well for you - is it drop in pistons or are you going to get the block prepped for them ?

A

PS I think its great how so many hatches are going under the scapel for some serious modding. Lots for all of us to learn and benefit from. Cheers lol!

Thanks for the positive comments. Very Happy

Out of interest, are your headers equal length? Like a fool I was on Youtube earlier listening to a few drive-bys with equal length headers and that snarling exhaust note could very quickly become addictive! You can see where I going with this . . . .
    A

Post  A Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:51 am

"Thanks for the positive comments. Very Happy

Out of interest, are your headers equal length? Like a fool I was on Youtube earlier listening to a few drive-bys with equal length headers and that snarling exhaust note could very quickly become addictive! You can see where I going with this . . . ."

Hmmh... whats the in-between term.... 'slightly unequal' they are "I believe".

And tbh less dugga dugga but more snarly opening up to a howl.

I gained 65lb torque through Harvey Smith supplied (and "expertly wrapped") RCM supplied headers and hybrid up-pipe.

A great mod... which is good preparation for the future... because you will want 'just that bit more' eventually.... lol!

All the best mate. Let us all know how it all goes Laughing

A
    Rheid

Post  Rheid Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:57 am

A wrote:Hmmh... whats the in-between term.... 'slightly unequal' they are "I believe".

And tbh less dugga dugga but more snarly opening up to a howl.

I gained 65lb torque through Harvey Smith supplied (and "expertly wrapped") RCM supplied headers and hybrid up-pipe.

A great mod... which is good preparation for the future... because you will want 'just that bit more' eventually.... lol!

All the best mate. Let us all know how it all goes Laughing

A

Thanks mate! I'm hoping to document/photo every step of the way (just need to sweet talk Rob into that!) and will do a journal as things progress.

Are these the RCM headers you've got by any chance? If so then I've seen a clip of those on Youtube, you still know it's a Scooby but on WOT it's a whole different animal!

Ported headers and up-pipe RCMEqualLengthHeaders

A

Post  A Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:08 pm

TBH when they are wrapped ..... they look like ... whatever.

Dump the RCM up-pipe for the Harvey hybrid - gaining up to 500rpm earlier spool and better throttle control.

A
    Derek FKS 85
    Derek FKS 85

Post  Derek FKS 85 Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:27 pm

I'm sure I used to play those in the school orchestra.
    A

Ported headers and up-pipe Empty Actually No...

Post  A Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:04 pm

Rheid

Actually No.... my headers are the 4 into 1 design. Not those in the photo.... they are weird ?

A

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:17 am