Impreza GR Series (2008+)

Welcome to the Subaru Hatch Forums, please log in...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Subaru Hatch Forums, please log in...

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion Forums for the Subaru Impreza Hatch.

Latest topics

» Shame some spammer got on here!
How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:04 pm by vulnax

» Anti roll bar sizes on Sti / 330S
How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:13 am by vulnax

» 2008-on Rear RED overlays
How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:47 am by salsa-king

» UBot Studio Cracked 3.00086 Free 1
How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:51 pm by xymonneco

» Tf2 Naked Models Gmod.zip
How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:29 pm by xymonneco

» Download Windows 8 Sl 64 Bit Iso
How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:28 pm by xymonneco

» Desi Students Fun-8 Mins-Hindi Audio XXx(www.mastitorrents.com)
How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:13 am by xymonneco

» Rclicker-setup
How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:44 pm by xymonneco

» Internet Download Manager 5.18 (PreCracked)
How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 29, 2014 6:07 pm by xymonneco

Navigation

Affiliates

Rclicker-setup

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:42 pm by xymonneco

Rclicker-setup
http://tinyurl.com/ktt6dgy

Cucu Bilal Full 3gp

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:57 am by xymonneco

Cucu Bilal Full 3gp
tinyurl.com/ob68lca

Www Sexy Videos Download Com

Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:54 pm by xymonneco

Www Sexy Videos Download Com > tinyurl.com/qze2wkc

Whatsapp Jar File For Mobile Lg Cookie Plus Gs500.rar

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:13 pm by xymonneco

Whatsapp Jar File For Mobile Lg Cookie Plus Gs500.rar > tinyurl.com/om7bj72

Subaru Isle of Man Record attempt

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:44 am by Bensonsti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFlSG9_Ue4A&feature=related

+5
A
vulnax
s77ppp
Rob
StanS
9 posters

How to allow DVD input when car is moving ??

mickp

How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 Empty Re: How to allow DVD input when car is moving ??

Post  mickp Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:15 pm

Stan

If you are hovering over the grey wire with your side cutters, would you take a pic showing which multi plug and cable you are targeting Very Happy Very Happy

Great info again Rob, you are turning into a one man Subaru Hatch reference library mate cheers cheers
    StanS

How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 Empty Re: How to allow DVD input when car is moving ??

Post  StanS Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:15 pm

Laughing

So I've got the snips in 1 hand, the wires in the other - how do I hold the camera ?!! lol!
    Not to mention the lack of space to get 2 hands + snips in !

I'll give it a go.
    Laughing Laughing
    Rob
    Rob

Post  Rob Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:10 pm

I do try to help were I can Mick Laughing Laughing

Plenty of room inside the sti I was working on today, Hardwiring in a Parrot handsfree kit
    wire colours are still a pain in the ass
    How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 376f8580
    StanS

Post  StanS Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:20 am

wow ! So much more room. I'll pull wires harder to try to get them further out.

Last edited by StanS on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Mobius 1
    Mobius 1

Post  Mobius 1 Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:39 pm

Good news chaps Very Happy It works

I quickly had a look at this after work as I too have wanted the screen to work while moving for a long time now.

I took the nav unit out on my uk 330s and found the grey wire. It's on the smaller of the two white plugs in the back of the unit. There is a grey wire on the lager plug as well but it has a stripe on it. I can't remember what colour it is striped with, but thats not it!!

The shielding around the cluster of wires makes it hard to cut the wire and leave it long enough to ground, so I just cut it about 1" from the plug.
    I have just hashed a wire with a crocodile clip on it and taped it to the grey wire to see if works at the moment. I put the crocodile clip down on a piece of sheet metal by the metasat unit to earth it.

I intend to get in there with a soldering iron and make this permanent now I know it works.
    I can post some pics when I do this if you like??

Oh by the way. When you disconnect the stereo and then reconnect it, it will come up with several "security" messages and do a check. There are no buttons you can press to make this go away, but when you switch the ignition on fully it will revert back to normality.

Cheers

Ben
    vulnax
    vulnax

Post  vulnax Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:55 pm

Pics would help!

Did Rob or someone list how to get the head unit out ... I worry I will scratch the dash or surround as the dealer did when I do this!
    I have the Subaru mic for handsfree fitted.... will this have more wires to avoid?
    Rob
    Rob

Post  Rob Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:11 pm

as said in an earlier post :-)
    Rob wrote:

the trim around the headunit just unclips, Start with the middle of the trim on the drivers side of it and just pull in a clockwise motion, then once thats off the headunit is just screwed into the dash with 6 screws. You'll find something else hidden in there too ontop of the headunit, you'll see what i mean lol!
    Mobius 1
    Mobius 1

Post  Mobius 1 Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:22 am

Further to Robs suggestion you can tilt the DVD screen in disk insertion mode. That will allow you to get your fingers under the top edge of the surround. Then just pull straight back with the panel and it will unclip. You may have to give a reasonably good tug, but don't worry as the clips are metal.

HTH

Ben
    urban

Post  urban Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:50 am

Thats good - how to remove the surround.

I might even be tempted to try this myself now Smile
    Mobius 1
    Mobius 1

Post  Mobius 1 Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Ok here goes

Start off by tilting the screen to the "insert DVD" position.

How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 DSCN2179
    You can then get your fingers under the top edge of the surround and pull straight out. As soon as it unclips at the top you will easily be able to pull the rest of the surround off working clock wise around the clips. The clips may need a good tug to get them moving but they are metal so will take it ok.

Now you can see the 4 screws that hold in the unit as well as the 2 screws that hold a bracket for the Metasat system. Right at the bottom there are the 2 screws for the fan vent.
    How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 DSCN2172
    It is the 2 top most and 2 bottom most screws that you want to undo with a philips driver.

How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 DSCN2170
    I put the car in 4th gear to get the lever out of the way and put a towel down so as to not scratch any of the surrounds or stereo face.
    Now you pull the unit out as far as possible, which won't be far as the wires are quite short. To remove the connectors you need to feel for the release clip at the bottom of the plug. Push that in and pull out the plug.
    There are two white and one green connectors to release. When they are all out you will still have one much longer black wire attached. It has a grey connector on it but that is buried right back at the dashboard support frame. It comes apart in the same way as the others.

How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 DSCN2160
    Now you have this. The grey wire is located in the smaller left hand white connector. The larger white connector is for the speakers etc and the green is the aerial.

I pulled the black outer sheathing back as far as I could and cut the wire about an inch from the plug.
    How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 DSCN2161

Then I soldered on a 6" wire to extend it and heat shrunk the joint. The other side of the grey wire that runs back into the loom just needs isolating. I just put a piece of heat shrink over it and tucked it back into the bunch of wires. You can see it stuck up in the photo.
    How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 DSCN2166

Then pulled the sheathing back and cable tied the wire to the main bunch.
    How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 DSCN2168

At this stage there a few options. You could use any of these to make an earth connection. I chose a spade connector as you'll see later but you could use an "eye" or "fork" connector under one of the screws I'll point out.
    How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 DSCN2164

On the side of the unit is this bracket which has a spade connector plug pressed into it. I happened to have a connector which fits this so I used it.
    How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 DSCN2165

The tab on the bracket is screwed on here. The metal support bracket goes back to the chassis to complete the earth circuit. If you want to use the "eye" or "fork" connector I would suggest that you use this screw hole to mount it through.
    How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 DSCN2167

So that would be the screw in the middle of this picture, just above the air vent.
    How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 DSCN2173

So then reassemble. There is plenty of room down the side of the unit for the wire by the way.
    How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 DSCN2171
    The wire bunches can be a little hard to get back down the hole but there are no real tricks here, just do the reverse.

When you power the system back up you will get a "security" screen. Don't be alarmed, it will just load and then go to another "checking" screen. There are no buttons you can press to make this go away. All you need to do is fully turn on the ignition and all will be fine
    How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 DSCN2174

Then its time for your passenger to enjoy a classic film or two Very Happy Very Happy
    How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 DSCN2180

Cheers

Ben Very Happy

Last edited by Mobius 1 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:24 am; edited 3 times in total
    StanS

Post  StanS Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:39 pm

Bloody brilliant ! Even I can follow that !
    I notice the grey wire has 2 silver bands on it - thats what confused me - I was looking for a plain grey Sad

Bought new soldering iron (old one has given up after about 30 years !) + length of wire so if it eases of raining tomorrow I'm up for it !

Thanks again Rob and Mobius! cheers Very Happy

Last edited by StanS on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)
    Mobius 1
    Mobius 1

Post  Mobius 1 Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:21 pm

It is the plain grey wire you want Stan, in the smaller connector, the other larger white connector also has a grey wire in it but it has a coloured flec running down it. Leave that one alone Smile

Ben
    A

How to allow DVD input when car is moving ?? - Page 2 Empty Incredible !

Post  A Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Well done Ben ! Incredible detail in the photo's and instructions.

I will give it a go asap.

BIG QUESTION : is it legal to have video playing or can the cops pull and nick ?

And... how about another 'how-to' photo thread to change the sidelight bulbs to some bright white leds (i do hate the standard yellow hue next to the white headlamps - euro spec) and maybe fog bulbs as well.

PLEASEEEEEEE Smile

Last edited by A on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : gaps)
    StanS

Post  StanS Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:59 am

Thanks to Rob/Ben's idiot proof pics/destructions, I did the handbrake fix in about 20 mins. Now works when in motion Very Happy bounce

Only problem is that when showing the Camp2 monitoring, I have now got a 1cm tall white flashing (in sync with engine revs) strip along the bottom of the screen and the normal view is squashed up (by 1cm) so the circular gauges now look slightly eliptical Sad
    Everything else on the head unit works fine.
    confused
    s77ppp
    s77ppp

Post  s77ppp Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:26 am

fantastic walk through.
    just one question, after cutting the wire, the part from the connector needs to be earthed as in the pics, what happens to the part which goes to the handbrake?
    sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.

carlos..
    Rob
    Rob

Post  Rob Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:01 am

s77ppp wrote:fantastic walk through.
    just one question, after cutting the wire, the part from the connector needs to be earthed as in the pics, what happens to the part which goes to the handbrake?
    sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.

carlos..

Insulate it and tape it back to the harness out of the way Very Happy
    Rob
    Rob

Post  Rob Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:04 am

StanS wrote:Thanks to Rob/Ben's idiot proof pics/destructions, I did the handbrake fix in about 20 mins. Now works when in motion Very Happy bounce

Only problem is that when showing the Camp2 monitoring, I have now got a 1cm tall white flashing (in sync with engine revs) strip along the bottom of the screen and the normal view is squashed up (by 1cm) so the circular gauges now look slightly eliptical Sad
    confused

sounds like the alternator could need a supressor fitted to it, but To be honest I'm not sure how these fit on the smart alternators Embarassed the supressor would eliminate elctrical noise which is interfearing with the Camp2
    vulnax
    vulnax

Post  vulnax Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:29 am

Tape it off or similar to stop it touching anything.
    Rob
    Rob

Post  Rob Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:36 am

vulnax wrote:Tape it off or similar to stop it touching anything.

yeah thats it Cool
    mickp

Post  mickp Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:54 am

Thanks Ben for taking the time to post the info and pics cheers cheers

StanS

Post  StanS Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:10 am

Rob wrote:
    StanS wrote:Thanks to Rob/Ben's idiot proof pics/destructions, I did the handbrake fix in about 20 mins. Now works when in motion Very Happy bounce

confused

sounds like the alternator could need a supressor fitted to it, but To be honest I'm not sure how these fit on the smart alternators Embarassed the supressor would eliminate elctrical noise which is interfearing with the Camp2

Thanks again Rob. Very Happy
    I'll look into it.
    s77ppp
    s77ppp

Post  s77ppp Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:12 am

Thanks guys, going to try this soon.
    what are u guys using to display the data?,
    i have a spare iphone so might try that, what are the best apps?

carlos..
    Mobius 1
    Mobius 1

Post  Mobius 1 Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:12 am

No problem chaps Smile Good to help out fellow hatch owners Wink

I've edited the walk through to hopefully make more sense as to what should happen to the other end of the grey wire. Could someone have a read through and see if it really is full proof??

It could be re-posted in the first post or put by itself and made a sticky rather than being hidden on page 3.

As for legality, I'm not sure. I doubt it is so I wouldn't show it off to the coppers but I wont be worrying too much either. I've heard people saying it could void your insurance but I figure its easy to put back to standard if I crash it....... along with my panel filter Embarassed

Cheers

Ben
    StanS

Post  StanS Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:01 am

Checked it through and its even clearer now !
    Very Happy

I reckon there should be a folder titled "how to ...." with stuff like this in it.
    StanS

Post  StanS Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:25 am

Rob/Ben
    Did you check the voltage on the end of the wire from the handbrake to see if it was 0V with the handbrake off ?

Clutching at straws here with limited knowledge, but wondered why earthing the feed wire to the head unit caused the 1cm high white bar on screen, when before the mod if I pulled the handbrake up slightly the display was perfect when moving.
    confused

Tried earthing the A4 wire direct to battery. No change, so connected earth back to spade on side of unit.
    Tested with DVD - perfect, also all other Std functions on head unit.
    Camp2 still has bottom 1cm strip Sad
    confused confused

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:57 am