Impreza GR Series (2008+)

Welcome to the Subaru Hatch Forums, please log in...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Subaru Hatch Forums, please log in...

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion Forums for the Subaru Impreza Hatch.

Latest topics

» Shame some spammer got on here!
The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:04 pm by vulnax

» Anti roll bar sizes on Sti / 330S
The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:13 am by vulnax

» 2008-on Rear RED overlays
The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:47 am by salsa-king

» UBot Studio Cracked 3.00086 Free 1
The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:51 pm by xymonneco

» Tf2 Naked Models Gmod.zip
The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:29 pm by xymonneco

» Download Windows 8 Sl 64 Bit Iso
The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:28 pm by xymonneco

» Desi Students Fun-8 Mins-Hindi Audio XXx(www.mastitorrents.com)
The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:13 am by xymonneco

» Rclicker-setup
The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:44 pm by xymonneco

» Internet Download Manager 5.18 (PreCracked)
The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu May 29, 2014 6:07 pm by xymonneco

Navigation

Affiliates

Rclicker-setup

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:42 pm by xymonneco

Rclicker-setup
http://tinyurl.com/ktt6dgy

Cucu Bilal Full 3gp

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:57 am by xymonneco

Cucu Bilal Full 3gp
tinyurl.com/ob68lca

Www Sexy Videos Download Com

Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:54 pm by xymonneco

Www Sexy Videos Download Com > tinyurl.com/qze2wkc

Whatsapp Jar File For Mobile Lg Cookie Plus Gs500.rar

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:13 pm by xymonneco

Whatsapp Jar File For Mobile Lg Cookie Plus Gs500.rar > tinyurl.com/om7bj72

Subaru Isle of Man Record attempt

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:44 am by Bensonsti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFlSG9_Ue4A&feature=related

+11
mickp
Mobius 1
Tone Loc
Manchester_Kris
urban
P4UL
vulnax
enginetuner
jaypSTI
Rob
StanS
15 posters

The engine build begins at last ....

StanS

The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 Empty Re: The engine build begins at last ....

Post  StanS Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:25 am

Cheers Mick Very Happy
    Its certainly great fun and great to drive.
    What plans do you have for yours ?
    Or are you going to be sensible and keep your money in your pocket ?!
    mickp

The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 Empty Re: The engine build begins at last ....

Post  mickp Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:48 am

Just cannot make my mind up Stan to be honest. It's three years old in March and i think i will end up tossing a coin to see if it's a trip to Enginetuner or a change to the new RS3 Embarassed

Every morning i wake up i have changed my mind again Laughing Laughing

Love the Hatch but the RS3 is pulling me in. Saying that going forged and re-mapping would give me a cheap Supercar.

See what i mean !!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing
    StanS

Post  StanS Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:26 pm

The impossible bit (to me) is having started the engine upgrades, sticking to the plan and keeping to a sensible, safe, reliable output Laughing bounce

If you can stick to <450BHP it should be as reliable as "normal" (non 2.5 litre) engines !

Decisions, decisions ! Laughing
    StanS

Post  StanS Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:35 am

As the oil is hitting 110C after a bit of a blast in these air temps, I decided to bite the bullet and sort an oil cooler before taking it on a track day.
    After a few calculations, and much head scratching as to where it would fit, I bought what I hope is a suitable size cooler. Should dissipate 20kW and reduce temps by about 20C if the air flow through it is correct.

First step was to make up some brackets to mount it. Also needed to move the catch tank and lower some bits under the cooler. After a few grazed knuckles, and wrist ache (shaking the spray can !) I got to this stage.

The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 P1020427

The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 P1020428

Having done a preliminary guestimate on which fittings and hose I'd need, ordering and receiving them, I rented a lift at my local "i-tuned" to fit the thermostatic sandwich plate and make up the pipework.
    Having removed the filter, I found that I had been sent the wrong adaptor to secure the sandwich plate to the water sandwich plate. Shocked No
    So while I had it up in ther air I checked out the pipe run from the sandwich plate.
    Its going to be very tight, probably one pipe touching the corner of the block and the other just missing the wrapped headers. Hopefully, with the shiny insulating pipe shield, it should be OK.

I rang the supplier who is putting the correct fitting in the post this afternoon, so I should get it tomorrow and have a second go on Friday. If that goes well I can design and fabricate the ducting from the bonnet scoop.
    StanS

Post  StanS Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Quick update. After 4.5 hours trying to get the sandwich plate and pipework to fit under the water modine missing the equal length headers, + getting the pipe runs to the cooler clear of manifolds and without too sharp bends and not putting stress on the cooler inlet/outlets, its now all in and working. No test runs with prolonged welly yet, but temps rarely exceed 90C when pushing a bit - mainly around 80-85C.
    Started fabricating the ducting. Will post pics when done - it may be a few days .....
    Paul666
    Paul666

Post  Paul666 Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Don't you take the water modine out when fitting the sandwich plate?
    Paul.
    mickp

Post  mickp Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:06 pm

No room for the picnic basket in there Stan Laughing Laughing Laughing
    StanS

Post  StanS Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:13 pm

I think I removed it on the Classic, but on this one I had 2 thoughts !
    I thought leaving it would help "quick" warm up, but more important I found you need the extra thickness of the modine to lower the sandwich plate enough to allow the pipes to run using 45 and 90 swept elbows.

If the cooling is not as good as I hope, I may well blank off the pipework to the modine, and accept longer warm up times.

Best news is that there is no noticeable pressure drop since fitting the cooler Very Happy

Last edited by StanS on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    StanS

Post  StanS Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:19 pm

mickp wrote:No room for the picnic basket in there Stan Laughing Laughing Laughing

Laughing It takes a special effort from me for any picnic basket to arrive unpillaged before arriving at a destination - so we usually plan things without picnics but with a pub somewhere along the route Laughing

It is getting full in there - too much like an old man's comfortable car Laughing
    StanS

Post  StanS Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:04 pm

After a few more hours with hammer, files and mole grips subbing for vice I got the ducting and deflector sorted.

The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 P1020432

The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 P1020434

Having given it a continuous blast up and down the gears for 10 minutes it got up to 95C, so I reckon it will work OK on track days.

What I need to do now is use 5W30 or maybe 5W40 Motul 300V instead of the 15W50 which is far too thick on start up and gives very high oil pressures with this pump. I sit on tick over until its about 50C, then keep the revs below 2K so oil pressure stays under 9.5 bar until I can ease the revs up ! 5 or 10 grade will help with cold start up and improve cooling further.
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=83
    Long read (8 pages) but very informative.

Now started clay baring Smile
    StanS

Post  StanS Mon May 30, 2011 3:15 am

"Invested" in some summer/track rims and tyres. Rota Force 18 x 8.5" and 235 40 R888's.
    Also had the car sound checked at Snetterton - 103.5dB on static test @ 5krpm so very iffy.
    Went to H&S and had a centre section silencer fitted. Nice job and now 87dB at 5krpm. So seems I'm ready for even Bedford now ! Laughing
    StanS

Post  StanS Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:23 am

August update.

Have done the side vent mod to draw hot engine bay air out of side vent.
    Remove side vent (losen sill poppers first !) Remove rubber blanking strip.
    The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 P1020644

The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 P1020645

Cut holes, rustproof (lots of Finnigan's !) Don't worry about the odd run - it'll be hidden by the vent !)
    The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 P1020646

Replace vent and sill. Have beers, BBQ. Laughing
    StanS

Post  StanS Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:37 am

Just done a v1 vent for the CAI. Just need to get some primer tomorrow so I can paint the visible parts behind the slot black and also the front fog covers (thanks for the idea Ethanrob ! Smile )

The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 P1020647
    StanS

Post  StanS Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:20 am

Opened out the hole a bit behind the slot and painted the visible bits behind the slot black and also fog covers.

The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 Latestfront1
    Lordharding
    Lordharding

Post  Lordharding Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Wow
    Amazing
    I remember I used to read your posts on your green wagon 8/9 years ago and I remember when you advertised it for sale the specification and conversations about what you had done were so indepth

Just like a time warp with your new hatch now
    Very Happy
    StanS

Post  StanS Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:26 am

Thanks John Smile
    Hope you have recovered from the stresses of organising NBO9. What a magnificent job you did - can't wait for NBO10 !! So much response, great stands and fun competitions. It was my first visit and involvement with any S&S competition. It was wonderful seeing the truely immaculate cars there.

As per usual, I try to develop the car best I can with my limited budget. Only wish I knew at the start what I know at the end !! Laughing

Any plans for your super economical diesel ?

Rheid

Post  Rheid Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:16 am

StanS wrote:Just done a v1 vent for the CAI. Just need to get some primer tomorrow so I can paint the visible parts behind the slot black and also the front fog covers (thanks for the idea Ethanrob ! Smile )

The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 P1020647

Like the concept Stan but why did you cut a slot in the fog cover rather than simply remove the backing piece from the cover which leaves everything between the ribs (where the mesh is) wide open? Removing the backing piece from the cover is simple, 4 clips and 2 screws.

The engine build begins at last .... - Page 4 Fogcoverrearforbackingplateremoval

Must admit though that I've not checked the car to see if there's a reason why that would be pointless and a slot is the only viable option - cover pictured is from a kit I've never fitted.

Cheers, Neil

StanS

Post  StanS Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:41 am

Hi Neil !
    Thanks for the suggestion - all welcome !! Very Happy
    The bodywork behind that bit is fairly solid as its access to where you screw in the tow eye. I also didn't want to have too much air going in as one US guy who removed just about everything possible (including the fog light, and cut away some bodywork, had the inner wheel arch blow back and melt, rubbing on the tyre !!!! pale
    Also in winter didn't want too much rain getting to the filter, so it would be easy to put some black tape across the slot.
    It has made a difference. Yesterday ambient temps were 22-24C and AIT (when moving) were 1-3C over ambient as opposed to 3-5C before. Cool

Hope to get the re-map soon. Ecutek hasn't done anything about solving the phantom det so Bob is going to move or de-sensitise the sensor, load race rom with lauch control and flat floor shifting and maybe tweak the boost a tad.

Then I can do some testing at Snetters. Twisted Evil

Probably followed by looking for a new clutch ! Rolling Eyes
    Rheid

Post  Rheid Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:47 pm

That makes perfect sense Stan - I did think as I was typing that you wouldn't have passed over something so obvious if there wasn't a good reason.

2 - 3 deg is a fairly significant difference for not a lot of effort! Not sure if that's into remap territory, but who cares, you're going RaceRom shortly anyway. Cool

A

Post  A Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi Neil & Stan...

So the fog lamp housing - how's it come off ?

Yank gently or bumper off ?

A
    Rheid

Post  Rheid Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:14 am

A wrote:
    Hi Neil & Stan...

So the fog lamp housing - how's it come off ?

Yank gently or bumper off ?

A

Just pull it off, it's only a couple of clips that hold it in place. You can see them in the pic I posted above.

Neil
    StanS

Post  StanS Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:50 am

I find it easiest to pull the side nearest the outside edge of the car, gently push it towards the centre of the car while pulling gently,outwards and slightly down, on the middle of the surround. The nearside surround seems harder to remove than the drivers side on mine for some reason Rolling Eyes

Once you have one removed and see how it clips, you get a better idea how to get it off !!
    StanS

Post  StanS Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:53 am

JDM rack arrived 0830 this morning from Grade A breakers - only ordered it yesterday afternoon !! Trying to locate a Whiteline drivers side bush (the big one they supply for JDM racks along with the UK one in the kit). Main hope is that Rob may find one in his "left overs" box of bits !! Laughing
    vulnax
    vulnax

Post  vulnax Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:26 pm

Stan,

I had the PU mounts for the steering rack a while ago, I may have the unused bush as they gave me all the old bits back .... but wasn't sure if there were 2 kits to suit, not 1 all in one kit?

I'll dig it out at the weekend and have a look!
    Rheid

Post  Rheid Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:32 pm

If it was a Whiteline kit there would have been both size bushes included. It's the large diameter one that fits around the rack that's different between UK and JDM.

Keep your fingers crossed Stan!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:34 pm